Aperture Vs Lightroom 4:Discussing Do you use lightroom or aperture?


Aperture Vs Lightroom 4:Discussing Do you use lightroom or aperture?

Could anybody tell me which is better between Aperture and Lightroom 4 please. I need to decide

OK, I'll summarize what I've een talking about here below.

 They are each excellent programs.  Since you are looking at Aperture, you must be on a Mac.  Aperture offers significantly better integration with the OS and other Mac programs than Lightroom -- but that is not really a primary concern.  They are so similar, you could chose from them like you would a clock-radio: look at each, and pick the one that you wouldn't mind seeing every day.  Or you could do the hard work: list your specific needs in terms of your workflow, your storage, your processing, your output -- how you take digital photographs, with what equipment, and what do you do with them -- and then look up each program's specifications and see which matches up best.

The nice thing is, you cannot go wrong.

This does come up a bit -- look in the "More Like This" section in the right column for links to other threads on this topic.
The similarities between Aperture and Lightroom;
 I'm glad I could help and I'm glad you decided. I think you'll enjoy LR. I've been a very loyal Aperture fan for years but have just switched to LR recenlty. Make sure to learn what catalogs, folders and collections are and I bet you'll be a super LR user in no time.

I don't really understand the question? What version of PS should you buy? If I was you I'd play with LR for a long time before deciding if you need PS. Most pro's find they are doing moe and more of thier work in LR completely. PS can sure do things that LR can't, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying LR (or Aperture) can do ALOT!

If PS is definitely on the plate then what's your budget?

If money is no object and you only will ever be interested in photography, then I'd say buy PS CS6.

If you are strapped for cash then find a previous version for sale. I wouldn't go before CS4, when they added 64 bit.

Make sure to take advantage of the education or teacher versions. Just know upgrading down the road may be hindered if you do.

Creative Cloud-
   If you don't mind spending more in the long run, want to always have up to date software, and want to dabble in video, audio, web sites in the future then go for Creative Cloud. It the leasing service Adobe just invented. If you do the math it's highway robbery.
   That being said I'm a creative cloud customer. I went from PS CS3 to now having access to all of CS6, and let me tell you I LOVE it. It's given me no excuse to not download a new software and totally be blown away by what thier other software can do.
They both protect the color space
They both preserve the RAW file
allow area specifi editing
interface with PS seamlessly
allow external HDD support
have advanced slideshow functionality
have large user groups making presets
have cut and paste adjustments.

Differences between Aperture and Lightroom are minor.
Aperture has better Apple app workflow
Aperturet has photostream support
Aperture works inside iWeb, iPhoto, iMovie etc...
Aperture has more complete retina support (as of right now)
Lightroom has minor video editing capability (some photo edits can apply to video, easing workflow)
Lightroom works better with PS if you are doing HDR or timelapse
Lightroom's cummintity support is better. You'll get more free presets etc...
Lightroom has customizable brushes
Lightrooms brushes are additive and you can control flow