use social media



ya, don’t do that. Work shouldnt be a lottery for us. Is it for you? Does the client just email up like 10 people and hire the first one that replies???? We like to think our work ethic, skills and attitude is what gets us hired. not some weird turn of luck . It could also be argued that you will more times then not get 2nd rate assistants because 1st rate assistants missed a chance to reply to your email, cause they were busy working!

You’re not the only photo that doesnt either which is annoying.


I agree with this 100%. I feel like I work hard to build a relationship with photographers. I earn their trust by always being on time (early), being part of the shoot, keeping a positive attitude, and working hard to make sure things go as smoothly as possible. I would hate to think that I got a job because I was the first one to call back.

Also, I have my phone on me at all times. I don’t use social media while working. I don’t text friends while working. However, if someone needs to know if they can book me for a job, I don’t want to make them wait all day, and I certainly don’t want to lose the job. I use my phone discreetly. I never use it in front of the photographer’s client or art director. I might check it on the way to the restroom or while heading out to the truck to pick up some gear or at lunch. If I need to actually call someone back then I wait for a lull in the shoot and will tell the photographer I need to call someone about a job. If they can’t understand that (and everyone I’ve worked for does) then I’d rather not work for them. I can’t lose business because someone doesn’t want my phone on set. I can be discreet though and make it so you almost never have to see it.