The iPhone Needs Another iOS 5-Caliber Update


The iPhone Needs Another iOS 5-Caliber Update

As iOS version updates go, the last one was fairly minor. The Facebook integration was nice, Siri took important steps forward and Passbook has serious potential. iOS 6 had dozens of other minor improvements, but no blockbusters. Its most anticipated feature, Maps, flopped so badly it led to a shake-up of Apple's executive team.

Remember when iOS 5 launched? That felt like an almost revolutionary upgrade. Notification Center, iMessage, iCloud and Twitter integration were all huge. It also introduced over-the-air updates and iTunes-free device activation. Even something as imperfect as Newsstand at least represented a new play for Apple and a promising opportunity for publishers. Then, of course, the iPhone 4S introduced us to Siri.

By comparison, iOS 6 was a more subtle, iterative update. And that's fine. But the next one needs be more like the jump to iOS 5: It's going to need at least one experience-changing, killer feature.

I never upgraded my phone to iOS 6. I wanted to, but the desire to hang onto my jailbreak prevented me from tapping the button. Then the Maps thing happened, reinforcing my decision. By the time both of those issues were resolved, I had been using iOS 6 on my iPad for a few months and had played with a friend's iPhone 5. Aside from maybe the ability to more competently write about Passbook, I didn't feel any burning desire to update my phone.

In fact, the first hint of regret I felt was last week when I tried to download Google's new Field Trip app for iOS and was informed that it required iOS 6. I realize this is purely subjective, but I couldn't help but notice that the things luring me toward iOS 6 were Google-built apps, not Apple's own efforts.

When you look at a device like the Nexus 4, it's easy to why some are defecting. The hardware is nice and the operating system itself has come a long way. Even Apple diehards are able to admit that Google Now makes Siri look like a joke. Across the board, Google's mobile design has improved dramatically, something we iOS users have been getting a taste of for the last six months. The Nexus 4 even has a cool wireless charging orb! I want one.